I had the pleasure of meeting one of the most positive people around today!
Laura Solomon spoke for the National Association of Career Women – Metro Detroit Chapter today. She’s another shining example of the extraordinary people that come out of Metro Detroit. She’s not only a successful business woman, but she’s a survivor. Check out her book here (I’ve already purchased it)!
From her bio: “As a mother of seven children, Laura brings real-life practical solutions to the issues of divorce recovery, relationships and time management. Laura is an expert in relationship, parenting and personal empowerment. She works with individuals who want to gain more effective control of their lives and relationships, and who would like to achieve greater satisfaction and heightened contentment.”
She spoke to us about garnering good word of mouth marketing for ourselves, our businesses and our clients.
Here are a few important takeaways that we can all start utilizing now:
- Know your target market! Just as Seth Godin said in his latest book (which I highly recommend), you cannot go after everyone. Get specific on who you want to help through your products and/or services.
- There is power in positivity. Laura said, “You are the result of your thoughts.” She also mentioned that who you are is more important that what you sell. There are countless realtors, bankers and lawyers out there. If people love YOU, they will buy from YOU.
- Remember the importance of gratitude. Hand write thank you notes. 68% of your customers will stop doing business with you if they do not think you need them.
- Ask for referrals. If you don’t ask for them, you won’t get them!
- Ask for testimonials from every one of you clients. The top 3 items looked on websites are:
- The home page
- People have a zillion distractions these days. Remember to DUMB IT DOWN when it comes to your marketing message. Keep it to one simple, REPEATABLE message. Remember, you have about a second or less to grab someone’s attention.
- Speaking of distractions, turn off your email and phone if they are distractions to getting your real work done. Check them when your daily tasks are complete. This sounds impossibly hard to do, but it’s how Laura gets her work done every day from 9am to 4pm. She schedules EVERYTHING in.
And a few specific points about marketing your business:
- Make sure that your name, tagline and what you do are EASY TO UNDERSTAND. What’s your unique selling point? What makes YOU different?
- No matter how great your company is, it’s nothing without good marketing materials! How does your website look? Your brochures? Business cards? Make them thrilling! Make them memorable!
- Be the most positive person anyone has ever met. Even if you are not in your dream job, there’s no reason to not be pleasant!
- Get on YouTube showing what you do in your business! It’s FREE and it’s a great search engine optimization tool.
- Thank you notes should be hand-written. It may sound old-fashioned, but it’s personal and underrated. Email is simply not good enough.
- Make sure your “elevator pitch” is in your email signature. (Added mine today!)
Thank you for your inspiration and insight, Laura! What A Great Way To Start The Year!
P.S. For more information on NACW and their list of 2012 speakers, click here.